The Winter Soldier is a character from the Marvel universe.
Bio express :
- Name: Winter Soldier
- Real identity : James Buchanan Barnes
- Date of birth: 17 March 1917 in the MCU and 1925 in the comics
- Story : “The thing is, you don’t have to. I’m with you till the end of the line.”
- The Winter Soldier was born after Bucky fell off a train in the Alps during a mission to capture Zola. A fall that should have been fatal to him.
- Before his fall, the sergeant and his entire regiment were captured by Red Skull, a prisoner of Zola, the scientist injected him with a modified version of the Super Soldier serum created by Schmitt. The serum and the ice allowed Bucky to survive the fall.
- Found by a Soviet soldier, he is taken to a Hydra base in Siberia.
- Unable to save his left arm, too damaged by the accident, he is amputated. First the forearm and then, little by little, the shoulder, leaving him in pain each time, the grafts being rejected again and again.
- He will finally wear a metal arm, his memory will be erased: thus was born the winter soldier. He is placed in cryogenics and “put back into service” when necessary.
Different alarm clocks: “ Who the hell is Bucky ? “
- From the 1950s until 2016, the winter soldier will be taken out of the ice and reactivated several hundred times, trained by the KGB, he is a formidable opponent.
- Rumours have it that he was responsible for the death of President Kennedy. He is also responsible for the death of Howard Stark and his wife, Tony’s parents.
Red room : “A long time ago, Natalia Romanova made me remember what it was to feel human.”
- During the Cold War in the Soviet Union, the Winter Soldier is sent to the Red Room to train the Black Widow. It is there that he will meet and train Natasha Romanoff.
- In the movie “Captain America: Civil War” we can hear Natasha Romanoff say “you could at least recognize me” which could suggest that the Winter Soldier and the Widow trained together. But she could also simply be referring to the fact that he wounded her during one of his missions, shooting her through the stomach to reach his target.
- In the comics, however, the two are romantically involved and run away from the Red Room together, after Bucky regains his memory.
The Winter Soldier in the MCU:
- In the MCU, the Winter Soldier is played by Sebastian Stan.
Redemption arc : ” What you did all these years… it wasn’t you. You didn’t have a choice.”“ I know. But I did it. “
- In “Captain America: Winter Soldier” we can see that the Winter Soldier gradually begins to have doubts and above all, to remember.
- Pierce will erase his memory several times before Bucky manages to escape and hide in Budapest where Steve will find him, wanting to help his best friend.
- In the first battle against Thanos, he is one of the people who is betrayed and returns to help Steve with all the others in the final battle.
- After this final battle, the government will drop all charges against the Winter Soldier on the condition that Bucky sees a psychiatrist every week.
- The Winter Soldier is one of those characters who have been given a “redemption arc” from enemy of the state to Sergeant Barnes.